Making sense out of routine activity theory is not fun.

After awhile, reading anything but routine activity theory is very fun.  Including the backs of cereal boxes.  (I presume.  I don't actually have time to pour cereal in a bowl, add milk and sit down with a spoon to eat it.)

This is a post to redeem myself for the terrible, no good, rotten, perfectly honest confession I made about watching Bad T.V. (Ialsolovewatchinggleeyoucanreallyhatemenow).

I don't have it in me to write real book reviews.  As in, even though one of my undergraduate degrees is in English, I have no skills to write reviews.    I have my little queue on the right, and I actually made some progress.  Girl Scout Badge?

*  The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down - yep, you should read it.  I don't even have any subject matter or language caveats.  You should just read it. 

*  The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian (this was our last book club pick, and even though it's a young adult read, yep - you should read it.  Maybe language, I can't remember.  Sucked me in with the boy reigns in basketball, broke my heart with the fact that real life happens.  Broke my heart with this version of real life.  I think Sherman Alexie might be my new intellectual crush.  I'm not sure.  I'll keep you updated.  It takes a lot to push Anderson Cooper aside, even though I'm fully cognizant we don't play on the same team.)

*  Downtown Owl - yep, you should read it.  Bonus:  If you read this, you may get an a little glimpse of everything that makes me pull my hair out about the Vineyard Town.  Minus the surprise blizzard.  Actually, we had one of those too ... never mind.

*  The New Structural Social Work.  Kidding.  Kind of.  Only read it if you want to know how the Canadians rock social work.  Canadians, you do.  Hats off.

Next Book Club:  The Children of Men.

Queue's updated.  Suggestions welcome.

It's going to be a long summer.

I kind of stink at summer vacation.

2 comments

  1. Ronna on June 16, 2010 at 8:01 AM

    OHMYGOSH I stink at summer vacation too! Much as I rail against being so pressed down by school work, I am secretly happy to be taking summer school classes or else I am afraid I would go mad after a week...

    I recently got a Sony e-reader and I am deeply in love with it. I can check books out from the library and not actually lug them around which is lovely.

    I will have to look for Downtown Owl...sounds like a good read :)

    <3 you!

    PS my word verification is billy. I find this hilarious for some reason, :P

     
  2. Lisa on June 16, 2010 at 12:49 PM

    @Ronna: You are most wholly my sister from another mother. I get to start moving on Friday, which will save my boredom bacon. Today's activity? My pile of clothes mending. I had to put word verification in because somehow one of my super old posts made it way to some spam black hole. Blech. Maybe a trip to Spo. will be in order later this summer?

     


Post a Comment