in case you're wondering.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2011/02/09/bucks-schoolteacher-suspended-over-blog-about-students/

The other part of why I'm careful is that I genuinely like my clients and have enormous respect for them.

I never blog about what happens in session with clients.
I do not blog about what happens in groups.
I do blog about light hearted, casual conversations that happen in passing or by chance in the agencies I'm working in.
But even in that, there is no identifying information.
(About half the time I change gender).
I prefer themes and patterns.

(I still find my stories about teaching kids in juvenile detention how to use toilet plungers funny.
I'm also still amused by their "Yo' Mama" battles and their terrible dance offs.)

I do not blog to degrade.
Ever.
Ever.

Granted, I have state statutes, a code of ethics, my licensure on the line and many, many examples of case law to dictate what I say and when about clients.

there will probably come a time, after graduation, depending on what type of work I find next, that I will feel more comfortable avoiding all talk about agency work and instead blabber incessantly about my rather mundane personal life
(Shoes is less than excited about this prospect)

Even at the juvenile justice center, I never blogged about take downs, restraint chairs or temper tantrums OUTSIDE the context of, "I had to take a kid down today, and it made me feel ...."

(Sometimes I feel guilty that I make it so much about me.
But better me than my vulnerable clients.)

We all get frustrated.
And burnt out.
We all disagree with administration (at least at times).

And.
(Because there usually is not a stark dichotomy, this or that, black and white juxtaposition).
And.

There is a call for professionalism.  For dignity.  And for one of my core beliefs:  While we need emotional boundaries, there is no Other.  Personally, I feel as though I gave over a little part of my first amendment when I chose this work.

And I'm ok with that.

0 comments



Post a Comment