My dear friend has invited all to take part in Thankful Thursdays. I know you've seen just about every variation of this there is (30 days of thankfulness, etc.). It's just simply one of those. I have no lofty ideas that I'll be able to get to 30 things I'm thankful for (because, as I told her, I'm scattered, sleepy and random -- not because I don't have 30 things to be thankful for), but I figured ...
... I can at least be thankful for one thing on a Thursday. And Thursdays just happen to be my only non 14 hour day during the week.
There's a principle, as well, of specificity here. We owe it to ourselves to be specific with ourselves and with others: with what we want, what we need, what we dream for, what we hope for. So as hard as things are right now for me, it's a good thing for me to get specific about the things that are going well. Or not going well, but I see the bigger lesson.
So, here's today's:
1. I'm thankful that it IS Thursday and I had a chance to breathe deeply on a semi Sunny, beautifully fall Portland afternoon.
2. So thankful for my Shoes. So, so thankful for this incredible human being who challenges me and loves unconditionally and knows, without asking any questions, exactly what type of emotion I'm feeling (he can even differentiate between different types of tears now, since I cry at everything).
3. Afternoon texts from my friend Elizabeth. Almost without fail, she sends me something about her day that grounds me and brings me back to the real world. (Also thankful she's not offended if I don't text back. She gets it.)
4. My divorce 4 years ago. That's kind of a funny one, right? That was a terrible time, but I think about how much I've grown as a person and how much more I know about myself and the nature of God ... and it's a little hard for me to imagine this exponential growth happening in any other context. I'm also thankful to be Biblically free of such a toxic relationship, and I'm thankful that I'm at the place now where I actually consciously wish good things for the former spouse.
5. My goddaughter, Rebekah, and all of the ridiculous and funny and loving faces she makes and things she does. Oh, how deeply I love this little girl.
And that is all I've got for right now, and I'm thankful I'm ok with that.